Friday, September 30, 2011

Look Who's Getting Crafty!

I'm sure that every other mom does this activity with her children weekly, but for the Hodges' girls, this was a BIG day...we made our own crayons!!! I really am so proud of myself. I'm a lot of things, but two things I am not are crafty and creative. Conlee has been doing all sorts of artsy activities at school, and I have recently become inspired to be the kind of mom who has fun and creative projects for her to do at home, too. Who knew, but basically the Internet can help anyone be creative! I got the idea for the crayons because Gigi and Paps just sent the girls some really cool crayons they got on their trip to Hawaii. They were different designs like flip flops, suns, and other beachy things. My curiosity was peaked because I couldn't figure out how they were made...well, now I know! See below if you're looking for a fun, easy and entertaining activity with the kiddos...

I ordered this cookie mold pan off Amazon. It's the Wilton brand, and they have everything. This is the 'girl' design with flowers, purses, castles, crowns, lips, etc. They have a boy design and also Halloween, Christmas, Snowmen, really anythig you can think of. This would be a great little party favor to give out...make some cool crayons, wrap them in cellophane and tie them with a ribbon. Just a thought.
Conlee was my crayon peeler and breaker. She went through all her crayons and gave me all the broken ones or ones she didn't like. I wish I had this idea a few weeks ago because I just threw a way a huge bag of broken old crayon pieces. Oh well!



Next you coat the pan with Pam or some non-stick cooking spray. Then you put the pieces of broken crayon in each section, careful not to overload them. Pop them in the oven at 350 for 3 - 5 minutes. Just watch them until they're melted.



Pull them out and let them cool for a few minutes. Then stick the cookie sheet in the freezer to let them harden up. You don't have to freeze them too long...



Then pull them out and you've got super cute new crayons that are sure to make your kids happy! I really still can't believe this worked and it was so easy!



This one is my favorite!










2 comments:

The Frazier Family said...

So cute you creative Mom! I'm going to do this:)

Tell Brent Happy Birthday from us!!

Cathleen said...

I am super impressed and will steal this when Charlie is older! SO CUTE!!