Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Baskin Robbins Kind Of Day

Today I took Conlee to her 1 year check up at the doctor's office. It started off well, but went downhill fast! First for her stats...she's turning into quite a tall, skinny little thing! She weighs 21 lbs, 11 oz (60th %) and is 32 inches tall (99.5%). I thought she would at least weigh 25 lbs...she feels like she's getting heavier by the minute, but maybe that's because I just keep getting more and more pregnant!

In addition to her 3 scheduled vaccination shots (BOO!), Conlee had to have blood drawn to test her lead levels and also make sure she's getting enough iron. The dr. sent us next door to the lab where the ladies seemed super nice and good with kids. They were NOT! The first lady attempted to draw the blood from her arm as she shrieked and cried in my arms. It was so traumatic, and I could hardly stand to watch them dig around for her vein. I calmly told the woman to withdraw her needle, that she was not capable of taking blood from a child and to stop immediately. The lady who had been holding Conlee down was so apologetic and promised she would get it out of the other arm. Of course as soon as she tried to get the blood from the other arm, it became PAINFULLY obvious that she was incapable as well. This time, I not so calmly demanded that she withdraw her needle. Once it was out, I proceeded with what could be described as a verbal assault on these women. I don't know why I'm continually surprised by incompetence...really, hardly anyone can do their job well these days...but do NOT mess with my child!

So, all that to say, it was definitely a Baskin Robbins day! Growing up, my mom would take me to Baskin Robbins if I didn't cry when I got my shots or bloodwork. I decided, since I'm the mom and I can, that we would change that rule. Today, you got Baskin Robbins if you DID cry, which meant Conlee and I both were in for a treat! Overall, I was way more traumatized by our day than Conlee...she brightened up as soon as we got in the car, but I'm still getting teary thinking about it! Needless to say, Brent will be taking Conlee to get her bloodwork done somewhere else next week!

Conlee with her bandaged arm, waiting for her ice cream!


In honor of Nanny's arrival in San Diego today, we ordered her favorite...chocolate chip!


All's well with the world, now!



Uh oh...someone's sad the ice cream is gone!


2 comments:

Brittany King said...

Ok now I need ice cream. Poor baby!!! I can just see you ripping into those morons and I'm so glad that I know you did and did it well!!! xo

Pops said...

Oh, the memories of your childhood this brings back. I was glad that your Mother always took you and Stephen to the Dr. I'm proud of the Mother you have become. We'll get more ice cream this weekend!